With full-length Zoom Air and soft foam, the Nike Pegasus Women’s shoe is designed especially for the female foot. Does it hold its ground?
The Nike Pegasus series is a popular and well-loved line that caters to runners at every stage – beginners or veterans. The latest in the series, the Air Zoom Pegasus 35, comes with special designs for women. It combines cushioning with an airy mesh upper for breathability. The slightly softer foam of the sole is designed especially for the female foot.
The Nike Pegasus series is a classic that focuses on cushioning and support for the foot. It also has an out-turned collar at the back for comfort. The cushioning offers extra support for the female foot, with its full-length Zoom Air and soft foam. Should women be happy with Nike’s offering? Let’s find out.
- Full-length Zoom Air unit provides a smooth, responsive ride.
The Pegasus line has always focused on comfort and cushioning while maintaining its lightweight and quick response feel. The out-turned collar gives the Achilles plenty of room while at the same time maintaining the snug fit of the shoe. A daily trainer at an average budget, the Pegasus 35 is able to cater to a variety of different runners. It has been known to be suitable for beginners, casual runners as well as high mileage runners.
With ample toe box room and a quick, natural feel, the Pegasus line promises to cushion the female foot adequately while maintaining energy return, responsiveness and flexibility, no matter what level the runner is at. Here’s our review to see if the veteran sports brand lives up to its promise.
- Size: The Pegasus 35 for women comes in a variety of sizes in the US and UK size chart. The shoes are also available in variations of narrow or wide.
- Weight: The Pegasus line offers lightweight, natural-feel trainers. At 7.9 oz (size 8), the Pegasus 35 is undoubtedly one of the lighter sneakers in the market.
- Upper: The mesh upper is signature to the Pegasus series, but the Pegasus 35 also moves the eyelet, creating more toe box room. This works for runners with wide feet and provides a snug feel to women with narrow feet. The upper is breathable, flexible and can be cleaned easily. The top of the collar at the back arches away from the Achilles, preventing heel rubbing.
- Mid and Outsole: The combination of the full-length zoom air and foam gives the sole unit of the shoe great comfort and cushioning. The tread pattern on the outsole becomes smaller towards the toe, giving the wearer increased traction and grip while on the front foot.
- Versatility: The shoe is good for runners across levels and is suited for long distance, short distance and track sprints.
How Does It Compare
While the shoe has shown great promise so far, how does it compare to other offerings in the market? There are several other options available in the same budget. Let’s assess if Nike’s competitors offer less, as much or more than it does.
New Balance Fresh Foam Zante v4
- Bootie Construction
- Engineered Mesh
- No-Sew Material Application
The New Balance Fresh Foam Zante v4 is similar to the Nike offering in terms of natural feel and cushioning. But does it have anything extra to offer?
- Ease of Use: The New Balance Zante is a versatile shoe that, like the Nike offering, can be used by beginners and veterans. That being said, durability tends to be an issue, something previous Zante sneakers have suffered from as well. It’s lightweight and has a quick feel while also maintaining its cushioned experience.
- Build Quality: The Zante v4 is built on a structured piece of fresh foam. The outsole has hexagonal-shaped lugs, giving the wearer flexibility with each stride. Perforations along the sole allow the shoe to compress and expand according to the wearer’s strides. The forefoot is wrapped in a mesh upper and the rest of the foot is cradled in a material called Hyposkin, which is meant to enhance durability.
Adidas Ultraboost Uncaged Parley
- Lace closure
- adidas Primeknit textile upper
- Flexible Stretchweb outsole; Continental Rubber outsole for extraordinary traction in wet and dry conditions; Midfoot...
Adidas and Nike have been competitors in the market for decades. Both brands are reputed for quality, style and plush comfort. Does the Adidas offering beat the Nike one?
- Ease of Use: The Adidas Ultraboost is a versatile shoe, stylish enough even for regular use. The lightweight and underfoot cushioning comes highly recommended. The shoe stayed durable through long-distance running and walking, according to several users, though the fit is not true to size for many. The sock-like collar also tends to cause chafing.
- Build Quality: The rubber outsole provides grip and traction on both wet and dry surfaces. The rubber also protects the midsole, made of foam and cushioned pellets, from wearing on hard surfaces. The Primeknit upper is made of a knitted material which feels like a sock. A standard lace, with no tongue, holds the sneaker midfoot.
Pros and Cons
- Lightweight: The full-length zoom air and foam combination makes the sneaker not only light to hold but also gives the wearer flexibility to move freely.
- Wide Toe Box: The wide toe box gives a wearer with a wide foot ample room in the front foot. Meanwhile, a narrower foot sits snug as the shoe hugs the wearer.
- Soft Cushion: The full-length zoom air and foam sole designed for the female foot is comfortable, takes hardly any time to break into and even allows a quick feel.
- Stylish: The Pegasus line, for both women and men, come in a variety of colors and shades. Bright colors for someone looking for some pop and the subdued grey and black for others.
- Durability: The cushlon foam material of the sole doesn’t hold in heat, some users complained. The outer section of the midsole also creased for some.
Finally, the Pegasus line for women, especially the latest, Pegasus 35, is a highly versatile shoe, worth spending the money. The sole designed with full-length zoom air technology and foam understands the female foot. The shoe is a streamlined, slick option, good for both hardcore training and leisure walking.
While the question of durability arose for some, the trainer overall provides great comfort and support and even comes in vibrant, stylish colors.